Big Batch Beef & Root Veggie Stew
Serves 12. Stores well frozen.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk, divided
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled if desired (about 4), cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- Dijon mustard, prepared horseradish or steak sauce (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté carrots, celery, onions, thyme, rosemary & 1/2 tsp pepper for about 10 minutes, until onions are softened.
- Stir in beef, broth, tomato paste & vinegar. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover & simmer. Stir often, for 45 minutes or until beef is starting to get tender.
- In a saucepan or microwave-safe cup, heat 1 ½ cups milk over medium heat on stovetop or on medium (50%) power in microwave until steaming. Whisk flour into remaining cold milk.
- Uncover stew, increase heat to medium & stir in potatoes. Stir in flour mixture, then hot milk until blended. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 to 45 minutes or until beef and potatoes are tender. Season to taste with pepper. Stir mustard, horseradish or steak sauce into each serving, if desired.
- Calories 279
- Protein 32 g
- Total Fat 8 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 85 mg
- Carbohydrates 21 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 6 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 384 mg
- Potassium 1057 mg