Guacamole Deviled Eggs
Recipe & Image Courtesy of the American Heart Association.
An unconventional twist on a favourite appetizer dish.
- 9 large eggs
- 1 medium avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 Tbsp fat-free sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/3 cup seeded and finely chopped Roma tomato (1-2 Roma tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalaeno
- dried or fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Make the hard-boiled eggs: Fill a large pot with water, add all the eggs, and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. As soon as the water begins to boil, cover with a lid, remove pot from the heat, and let eggs sit for 10 minutes. Drain water and transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water to cool.
- When the eggs are cool enough to handle, remove the shells. Slice each egg in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks, adding just 2 whole egg yolks into a medium bowl and discarding the remaining 7 egg yolks. Place the egg white halves onto a platter.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a spoon to scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl. Use a fork to mash the egg yolks and the avocado together. Stir in the sour cream and lime juice.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes with a spoon and discard; finely chop the tomato, along with finely chopping the scallions. Add both to the mashed avocado, along with salt, pepper, and optional jalapeno. Stir together to combine.
- Spoon the guacamole into each egg white half, dividing the mixture between all 18. Garnish with a sprinkle of dried or fresh chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve.
- Calories: 71
- Total Fat: 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Cholesterol: 41.9 mg
- Sodium: 129 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
- Sugars: 0.9 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Calcium: 0.0 mg
1 lean meat
- For a pro look, scoop the guacamole into a Ziploc bag. Use scissors to carefully snip a side corner and squeeze guac through the corner into swirls for a more decorated deviled egg.
- Make sure the seeds of the tomato are removed and discarded; otherwise, the liquid makes the guacamole too runny.