Makes 8 servings.
Carry these along for a tasty meal the go!
- 8 oz (250 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tsp (20 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 14 oz (400 g) prepared pizza dough
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-sodium marinara sauce, warmed
- In large non-stick skillet, brown beef over medium heat until beef crumbles; drain and set aside.
- In separate large skillet, sauté onion, mushrooms and garlic in 1 tbsp (15 mL) and 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in Italian seasoning and pepper. Add to ground beef and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 ˚F (230 ˚C).
- Divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each dough piece into 3 inch (7.5 cm) diameter. Spoon beef mixture equally over half of each piece, leaving ½ inch (1 cm) border. Top equally with cheese.
- Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edges over top edges and crimp dough with fingers to form rim. Prick tops of calzones with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Place on large baking sheet lightly greased and floured. Brush each calzone with canola oil, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with warm marinara sauce.
- Calories: 210
- Protein: 12 g
- Total Fat: 6 gSaturated fat: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Carbohydrates: 27 gFibre: 1 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Sodium: 450 mg
- Potassium: 36 mg
Moxie's Tip: You can prepare these ahead of time and wait to cook them until you're ready to eat them. Lightly brush the calzones with olive oil before baking for a nice crisp texture and golden colour.