Fresh Blueberry Lemon Muffins
Recipe courtesy of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. Yields: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, toss 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the flour with blueberries; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat sugar and oil until light and fluffy; beat in egg until blended. Beat in lemon zest, juice and vanilla (do not worry if mixture looks curdled).
- Using a wooden spoon, stir dry ingredients into oil mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of dry and 2 of milk. Gently stir in blueberry mixture.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until just turning golden and a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Calories: 177
- Protein: 3 g
- Total Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fibre: 1 g
- Sugars: 11 g
- Added sugars 8 g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Potassium: 75 mg