Muesli Breakfast Bars
Don't let the name fool you. These delicious snacks are great for anytime you're out and on the go!
Makes 24 bars.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free dry milk
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup sliced (flaked) almonds or chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark honey
- 1/2 cup natural unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly coat a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, dry milk, wheat germ, almonds, apples, raisins and salt. Stir well to blend and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the honey, peanut butter, and olive oil over medium-low heat until well blended. Don't let the mixture boil.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the warm honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir quickly until well combined. The mixture should be sticky but not wet.
- Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Press firmly to remove any air pockets.
- Bake just until the edges begin to brown, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in a pan on a wire rack for 10 mins, then cut into 24 bars.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the bars from the pan and place them on the rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge.
- Calories: 177
- Fat: 5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Sugars: 11 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Sodium: 75 mg
Recipe courtesy of The Mayo Clinic.