Pan-Seared Chicken Breast with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
This easy-to-make meal is delicious and a perfect dish to share with friends and family.
Serves 4; 3 ounces chicken and 2 tablespoons sauce per serving
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided use
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided use
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 cup dry white wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Put the chicken on a large plate. Sprinkle both sides with the salt and pepper. Using your fingertips, gently press the seasonings so they adhere to the chicken.
- Put 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Dip one piece of chicken at a time in the flour, turning to coat and shaking off the excess.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken for 4 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Turn over and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a separate large plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the hot skillet, swirling to coat the bottom. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the mushrooms and shallot for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon flour over the mushroom mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the wine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the sour cream. Don’t let the mixture come to a boil, or the sour cream will curdle. Stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the chicken diagonally. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Calories 291
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 75 mg
- Sodium 306 mg
- Carbohydrates 15 g
- Fiber 1 g Sugars 3 g
- Protein 29 g